HELICOPTER GLACIER HIKE
Our Helicopter Glacier Landing and Guided Hike with Crampons is a trip of a lifetime!
In partnership with Alpine Air Alaska, AP offers Heli access guided glacier hikes and ice climbs. We operate under permit by the Chugach National Forest on Spencer Glacier.
Alpine Air’s Robinson R44 Helicopters have an excellent safety record, are affordable, quiet and fuel efficient. We use the A-Star for larger groups or bigger mountain trips. Rates listed are per person, we need 3 clients minimum to run the trip.
From the magnificent Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, or in Portage if coming down by the fabulous Alaska Railroad- we group up – and take a short ride in a Sprinter van to our private landing zone in Portage Valley. After a heli safety briefing we hot load for a memorable scenic flight of about 10 minutes one way.
After landing on glacier ice, we gear-up with helmets and crampons. Once the heli leaves, and after a safety talk and crampon practice with your skilled and experienced guide, we explore the glacier ice itself. We typically schedule a couple of hours to discover amazing Ice features like: blue ice, crevasses, caves, rushing surface rivers, tubes, moulins, etc.
THIS DAY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Round trip helicopter flight from Portage Valley to Spencer or Lake George Glacier
- World-class mountain/glacier guide (meets you on the Ice!)
- Small ratios (max: 6:1)
- Real time satellite tracking and communication devices
- Deli boxed lunch, bottled waters, granola bars/snacks
- Crampons, helmets, other glacier gear and rain gear, if needed
- Interpretative glaciology, ecology and natural history discussions