HELICOPTER GLACIER HIKE
**New in 2019- due to access melt, a helicopter is the only way we will be accessing Hiking and Climbing on the Spencer Glacier**
Our Helicopter Glacier Landing and Guided Hike with Crampons is a trip of a lifetime!
From the magnificent Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, or in Portage if coming down by the fabulous Alaska Railroad- we group up – and take a short ride in a Sprinter van to our private landing zone in Portage Valley. After a heli safety briefing we hot load for a memorable scenic flight of about 10 minutes one way. Everyone has a window seat!
After landing on glacier ice, we gear-up with helmets and crampons. Once the heli leaves, and after a safety talk and crampon practice with your skilled and experienced guide, we explore the glacier ice itself. We typically have 2 to 3 hours to discover amazing Ice features like: blue ice, crevasses, caves, rushing surface rivers, tubes, moulins, etc.
THIS DAY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Round trip helicopter flight from Portage Valley to Spencer Glacier
- World-class mountain/glacier guide
- Small ratios (max: 6:1)
- Real time satellite tracking and communication devices
- Deli boxed lunch, water, granola bars/snacks
- Crampons, helmets, other glacier gear and rain gear, if needed
- Interpretative glaciology, ecology and natural history discussions