HELICOPTER GLACIER HIKE
Our Helicopter Glacier Landing and Guided Hike with Crampons is a trip of a lifetime!
From the magnificent Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, or the Girdwood Train Depot if coming down by the fabulous Alaska Railroad, we group up and take a short ride in our Sprinter van to the landing zone. After a heli safety briefing we hot-load for a memorable scenic flight of about 10-20 minutes one way. Everyone has a window seat!
After landing on glacier ice, your skilled and experienced glacier guide will outfit everyone with helmets and crampons, then provide a safety talk with crampon practice, before exploring the glacier ice itself. We typically have 2 to 3 hours (on average) to discover amazing ice features like: blue ice tubes, crevasses, caves, rushing surface rivers, moulins, blue pools and more!
THIS DAY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Round trip helicopter flight from Girdwood or Portage to Spencer or Lake George Glacier
- World-class mountain/glacier guide
- Small ratios (max: 5:1)
- Real time satellite tracking and communication devices
- Deli boxed lunch, water, granola bars/snacks
- Crampons, helmets, other glacier gear and rain gear, if needed
- Interpretative glaciology, ecology and natural history discussions