HELICOPTER ICE CLIMBING TOUR
From the magnificent Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, or the Girdwood Train Depot if coming from Anchorage by the Alaska Railroad (summer only), we group up and take a short ride in a Sprinter van to the landing zone. After a heli safety briefing we hot-load for a memorable scenic flight of about 10-20 minutes one way. Everyone has a window seat!
Learn to Ice Climb on a Glacier
After landing on the glacier, your guide will lead a safety talk and crampon practice. When the group is ready, your guide will lead you to ice walls where a top rope anchor is set up for vertical ice climbing. We can accommodate anyone from experienced mountaineers to beginners, no experience is necessary to learn how to ice climb.
Our Helicopter Ice Climbing Tour Operates Year-Round
This glacier day tour is available year round and we typically schedule several hours to not only ice climb, but explore amazing glacial features. The group will search out features such as: crevasses, caves, ice tubes, moulins and rushing surface rivers. For travelers staying in Anchorage or Girdwood, this tour provides time to experience the unique glacial environment on a once in a lifetime adventure.
Ascending Path offers these helicopter supported day tours In partnership with Alpine Air Alaska.
THIS DAY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Round trip helicopter flight from Girdwood/Portage to Spencer or Lake George Glacier
- World-class mountain/glacier ice instructor
- Small ratios (max: 5:1)
- Real time satellite tracking and communication device
- Deli boxed lunch, water, granola bars/snacks
- Crampons, harness, helmets and rain gear, if needed
- Interpretative glaciology, ecology and natural history discussions
- Ice Climbers are provided: ice climbing axes, plastic mountaineering boots, ropes and hardware for top roped climbing
- Top roped glacier ice climbing experience on ice walls