HELICOPTER ICE CLIMBING & CAVES
In partnership with Alpine Air Alaska, AP offers Heli access guided glacier caves and ice climbs. Year Around!
The Robinson R44 Helicopter has an outstanding safety record, are affordable, quiet and fuel efficient. Rates listed are per person.
From the magnificent Hotel Alyeska in Girdwood, or the Girdwood Train Depot if coming down by the fabulous Alaska Railroad (Summer Only), we group up and take a short ride in a Sprinter van to the landing zone. After a heli safety briefing we hot-load for a memorable scenic flight of about 10-20 minutes one way. Everyone has a window seat!
After landing on glacier ice, and once the heli leaves, we do a safety talk and crampon practice with your skilled and experienced guide. We typically schedule several hours to climb and discover amazing Ice features like: blue ice, crevasses, caves, rushing surface rivers, tubes, moulins, etc. Your guide will lead you to ice walls where a top rope anchor is set up to experience vertical ice climbing. You will finally feel the rush of what it’s like to be Spiderman when scaling ice walls. And then there’s the ice caves….!
THIS DAY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Round trip helicopter flight from Girdwood/Portage to Spencer or Lake George Glacier
- World-class mountain/glacier ice instructor
- Small ratios (max: 5:1)
- Real time satellite tracking and communication device
- Deli boxed lunch, water, granola bars/snacks
- Crampons, harness, helmets and rain gear, if needed
- Interpretative glaciology, ecology and natural history discussions
- Ice Climbers are provided: ice climbing axes, plastic mountaineering boots, ropes and hardware for top roped climbing
- Top roped glacier ice climbing experience on ice walls