Helicopter Ice Climbing & Caves
In partnership with Alpine Air Alaska, AP offers Heli access guided glacier hikes and ice climbs. We operate outside of the Chugach National Forest or land within NFS permitted areas.
Alpine Air's Robinson R44 Helicopters have an excellent safety record, are affordable, quiet and fuel efficient. We use the A-Star for larger groups or bigger mountain trips. Rates listed are per person for 1 R44 for 3 clients and 1 guide meeting on the ICE or 2 R44's with 5 or 6 clients total with 1 guide. If you are a party of 2, we need to add a 3rd paying client (or you pay for a 3rd seat) to make the trip go.
From the lobby of the magnificent Hotel Alyeska, we walk a short distance to Alyeska's private Heli Pad for a hot-load onto our ship. A memorable scenic flight of about 20 minutes gets us to several glacier options. After landing on glacier ice, we gear-up with helmets, harness and crampons. Once the heli leaves, and after a safety talk and crampon practice with your skilled and experienced guide, we explore the glacier ice itself. We typically schedule several hours to discover amazing Ice features like: blue ice, crevasses, caves, rushing surface rivers, tubes, moulins, etc. Your guide will lead you to ice walls where a top rope anchor will be set up to experience vertical ice climbing. You will finally feel the rush of what it's like to be Spiderman when scaling ice walls. And then there's the ice caves....!
THIS DAY TOUR INCLUDES:
- Round trip helicopter flight from Hotel Alyeska to Spencer Glacier
- World-class mountain/glacier ice instructor
- Small ratios (min: 2:1 max: 5:1)
- Real time satellite tracking and communication device
- Deli boxed lunch, bottled waters, granola bars/snacks
- Crampons, harness, helmets and rain gear, if needed
- Interpretative glaciology, ecology and natural history discussions
- Ice Climbers are provided: ice climbing axes, plastic mountaineering boots, ropes and hardware for top roped climbing.
- Top roped glacier ice climbing experience on ice walls.